Saturday 23 October 2010

Stuck-in-a-Book's Weekend Miscellany



I'm writing from deepest, darkest Somerset - having spent the evening playing with adorable Sherpa - and have that old weekend miscellany to give. A bit different from usual, as today all the things I'm pointing out are blogs or blog posts....

1.) I've been meaning to read more E.H. Young ever since reading Miss Mole, more here, and although several months have passed and I still haven't done, my determination has been renewed by this enthusiastic review of Young's William from Harriet Devine.


2.) For those of you with a fondness for Our Vicar's Wife (and she did make me a lovely dinner tonight, so I am even more fond of her than usual) - do go along and have a gander at her recently-overhauled blog. She's now joined the Wordpress masses...

3.) I thought I'd mention that family friend and poet Mary Robinson has started up a blog called Wild About Poetry... job done!


4.) Simon S. often has interesting blog-posts-about-blogging, and the most recent is a discussion about whether we prefer blogs with lots of reviews or lots of non-review bookish posts (lists, questions, books we've bought, etc.) I suspect the answer - both from the perspective of blogging and that of blog-reading - will be 'a mixture', but it's interesting to discuss why. Have a gander, and throw your tuppennyworth in, here.


Oh, and happy birthday to regular SiaB reader, and real-life friend, Lucy! She opened the present I gave her yesterday - she asked for books I thought she'd like but probably wouldn't come across otherwise, and I picked Christopher Morley's Parnassus on Wheels and Saki's Beasts and Super-Beasts.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the links. I've already been to Simon S's one now to go to the others. A happy weekend to you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for the link Mr Thomas. And also a HUGE thank you for the Debo book. I have just been and gotten loads of parcels from the sorting office and there it was, too kind of you!

    Loving OVW's blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mystica - hope you enjoyed!

    Simon - you're very welcome on both counts :) I've been reading Debo steadily for at least a month or two - loving it, but not taking it around with me because it's too heavy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the links, too. BTW, I love E.H. Young's book covers. Reminds me of a section in our school library. They had something like this.

    Book reviews

    ReplyDelete

I've now moved to www.stuckinabook.com, and all my old posts are over there too - do come and say hello :)

I probably won't see your comment here, I'm afraid, but all my archive posts can also be found at www.stuckinabook.com.