Saturday 2 February 2013

Stuck-in-a-Book's Weekend Miscellany

I'm starting a new job on Monday (maternity cover) at Oxford University Press.  It's all happened very quickly - I applied for it two weeks ago - and I'm both excited and nervous.  I might well tell you more about it in the future, once I've worked out how much distance I ought to keep between my job and this blog, but for now I just want to explain why posts will be a bit sporadic for the next week or two, as I get used to a new environment.  But I've quite enjoyed posting every other day, for a bit, rather than everyday - because more people seem to interact with each post that way.

But don't worry, I'm definitely not going anywhere!  Stuck-in-a-Book is still very important to me.

Some quick weekend links...

1.) The book - is Jenn Ashworth's The Friday Gospels, which I'm 50 pages into.  I loved her A Kind of Intimacy, and have somehow still not read her second novel (bad Simon), but have gone straight onto the third, which Sceptre kindly sent me when I sent them a begging email.  It's about Mormons, and is from various different perspectives, all of which are wonderfully realised so far.  More soon...

2.) The link - Radio 4 do a programme all about Nancy Mitford!

3.) The blog post - I'm trying to resist writing about The Lizzie Bennet Diaries again (IT'S JUST GOT SO EXCITING), but I've found my way around that by linking, instead, to Iris's blog post about it, and about Pride and Prejudice's anniversary - have a gander here.

17 comments:

  1. So I pretty much spent all my free time this week catching up on the Lizzie Bennett Diaries, and I CANNOT WAIT to see how it all plays out. I have a sneaking suspicion that the infamous website could show a new development in the next few days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting - the OUP would be a dream job for me. I look forward to hearing more about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simon,

    I feel so remiss for my failure to comment more often. I often read and am inspired by your gloriously open, optimistic and enthusiastic approach to life, by your wonderful reviews and by your views of life. Your blog is a delight. That said, I have no doubt that a stint at OUP will be lovely.

    Blog when you can - it is always a pleasure to read your words. You have guided me on many a book choice and I do love the fact that you are one of life's most CHEERFUL people. Caps required.

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the job, Simon! It has all happened quickly but at least that doesn't mean weeks of anxious waiting. Good luck on Monday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very best of luck with the job, Simon, and thankyou for the Nancy Mitford link - a must for all fans.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best of luck with the job Simon - I'm sure it will all go swimmingly! And post when you can - you mustn't feel pressured by blogging as your readers are just happy to read when you do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your new job! I hope it's everything you hope for. :)

    Oh, yet another The Lizzie Bennett Diaries recommendation. Man, I'm afraid I'm going to have to cave and watch it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations and best of luck with your new job! I'm sure everything will be just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done! The OUP sounds wonderful, and the benefit of maternity cover is that you have an escape clause if you don't like it and there's always the possibility of something coming from it if you do. I had a job for ten years that started as a maternity cover, and I could well still be there today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on the job Simon! And thank you so much for the linklove. I agree, things just got very interesting (as if they weren't already!) It almost makes me regret posting on Monday. I guess that post needs an update sometime..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Please take a look at my fundraising book "Beating Bowel Cancer" which I recently published to raise funds for the Beating Bowel Cancer charity
    http://beatingbowelcancerbook.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds exciting! Congrats to you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on your new job at OUP! I'm sure you'll be fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How exciting for you Simon. I am sure you and OUP will enjoy getting to know each other. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow - OUP! Thrilled for you. Hope it's a marvelous experience!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Multo congrats. I knew The Press would snap you up!!!

    ReplyDelete

I've now moved to www.stuckinabook.com, and all my old posts are over there too - do come and say hello :)

I probably won't see your comment here, I'm afraid, but all my archive posts can also be found at www.stuckinabook.com.