Thursday 3 January 2013

Reading Presently


thanks to Agnieszka for making the badge!

This will be the page for 2013's project, where I'll list my 50 Reading Presently books - books that were given to me as presents, along with their givers.  I will never use the word 'gifted' as a verb, or 'gifting' at all.  *Shudder*

1. Moranthology by Caitlin Moran - from my brother Colin
2. The Young Ardizzone by Edward Ardizonne - from Verity
3. What There Is To Say We Have Said : Eudora Welty & William Maxwell - from blog-reader Heather
4. The Diary of a Provincial Lady by E.M. Delafield - from Thomas
5. House of Silence by Linda Gillard - from Linda
6. A Spy in the Bookshop ed. John Saumarez Smith - from Lucy
7. Return to the Hundred Acre Wood by David Benedictus - from Verity
8. Is It Just Me? by Miranda Hart - from Lucy
9. How The Heather Looks by Joan Bodger - from Clare, maybe??
10. Room at the Top by John Braine - from John H.
11. Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn - from Ruth
12. The Easter Party by Vita Sackville-West - from Hayley
13. The Saturdays by Elizabeth Enright - from Nichola
14. Skylark by Dezső Kosztolányi - from Our Vicar and Our Vicar's Wife
15. Bassett by Stella Gibbons - from Barbara
16. The Library at Night by Alberto Manguel - from Colin
17. The Help by Kathryn Stockett - from dovegreybooks reading group
18. Four Hedges by Clare Leighton - from Clare
19. Books, Baguettes, and Bedbugs by Jeremy Mercer - from Charley
20. Some Tame Gazelle by Barbara Pym - from Mum
21. Virginia Woolf by Winifred Holtby - from Lucy
22. Of Love and Hunger by Julian Maclaren-Ross - from Dee
23. Oxford by Edward Thomas - from Daphne
24. Young Entry by Molly Keane - from Karyn
25. Dumb Witness by Agatha Christie - from Fiona
26. The Flying Draper by Ronald Fraser - from Tanya
27. A House in Flanders by Michael Jenkins - from Carol
28. The Restraint of Beasts by Magnus Mills - from Mel
29. The Queen and I by Sue Townsend - from OUP colleagues
30. Mr. Skeffington by Elizabeth von Arnim - from Rachel
31. Six Fools and a Fairy by Mary Essex - from Jodie
32. Cullum by E. Arnot Robertson - from Clare
33. Symposium by Muriel Spark - from Karen
34. Beowulf on the Beach by Jack Murnighan - from Colin
35. Pink Sugar by O. Douglas - from Clare
36. Time Will Darken It by William Maxwell - from Barbara
37. Hetty Dorval by Ethel Wilson - from Becca
38. Phantoms on the Bookshelves by Jacques Bonnet - from Clare
39. Faulks on Fiction by Sebastian Faulks - from Mum and Dad
40. The Compleat Mrs. Elton by Diana Birchall - from Diana
41. The Underground River by Edith Olivier - from Jane
42. Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris - from Laura
43. A Reader on Reading by Alberto Manguel - from Lorna
44. Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh - from Colin
45. My Grandfather and Father, Dear Father by Denis Constanduros - from Mum and Dad
46. The Best of Archy and Mehitabel by Don Marquis - from Barbara
47. Ten Days of Christmas by G.B. Stern - from Verity
48. Together and Apart from Margaret Kennedy - from Rob
49. Midsummer Night at the Workhouse by Diana Athill - from Mum
50. Black Sheep by Susan Hill - from Colin

11 comments:

  1. Simon, if it's OK I'm planning to link to this whenever I review a book received as a gift (I agree with you about "gifted" in that sense!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is such a lovely project Simon - I could probably do this along with you if I was inclined to limit myself as so many people have kindly given me books recently (and not so recently!) Good luck with the project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm excited about it - and wondering why I haven't read all these wonderful presents already!

      Delete
  3. I really like the idea behind this project. I seem to have the bad habit that I often leave books I received as gifts lying around the longest, without picking them up to read. You might have inspired me to give them a little more attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I have left some for years and years - I shall purge my guilt this year!

      Delete
  4. You are brave to do this! Best of luck -- and a happy new year to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should be fun - and only 50, so not too brave! :)

      Delete
  5. Well, you are off to a good start with this project: one down and a great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruthiella! It was a fab book to start with.

      Delete
  6. Now this is really interesting to me as I rarely give others books and they rarely give one to me. Book choices are so personal and I know that they differ from many of my friends. So, do you give books knowing the subjects they would choose for themselves or, do you try to introduce them to a different genre? I love a good weep - and end up feeling uplifted, grateful that I am not in the position of a particular character! - whereas others find such books depressing.
    Delyn

    ReplyDelete

I've now moved to www.stuckinabook.com, and all my old posts are over there too - do come and say hello :)

I probably won't see your comment here, I'm afraid, but all my archive posts can also be found at www.stuckinabook.com.